Get a leg up on the competition!
Participate in the Junk of the Unc Build-A-Boat Workshop!
Information and registration at: https://ridgwayriverfest.org/2018/05/08/junk-of-the-unc-build-a-boat-workshop/
Three crusty tips for building a junk-er from experienced builder Matt Hepp:
Guidelines for the Junk of the Unc:
- Make your river-craft out of any recycled or repurposed materials (no actual boat materials or parts please).
- Be creative and scientific – originality, great design, floatability and resourcefulness are all important factors in performing well in the Junk of the Unc.
- Secure your parts and materials well so we don’t have trash falling off crafts and floating down the Uncompahgre River.
- Bring your river-craft to Rollans Park by 9 a.m. on Saturday, June 30. We will have a Junk of the Unc display area for festival-goers to view your creations, and race registration is from 9 to 10 a.m. (If you have to show up later, we can probably get you into the Junk of the Unc race as long as you are registered by 11 a.m. However, racers in hard shell, inflatable and standup paddleboard categories must be registered by 10:15 a.m.)
- Float on your own or have a few friends join you (there are no rules about the number of members on a Junk of the Unc team).
- Get your craft about 50 feet down the river, ahead of the pack or with the most grace or style, and you could win one of our four awards: Fastest Junk, Most Floatable Junk, Most Creative/Artistic Junk, and Junk with the Best Use of Repurposed Materials.